Sunday, January 9, 2011

Lesson 1: Roosters Crow Whenever They Like.



            Well, I’m finally here! After months of preparation and over 24 hours of travel time, I am now settled in at the Teacher House in Mbale, Uganda!  Vince and Joy Vigil (and their seven-month old smiling baby boy Elias) picked me up from the Entebbe airport on Tuesday night.  After a crash course on some cultural stuff, I slept under a mosquito net for the first time in my life.  I am also happy to report a lack of jet lag and a great night’s sleep, besides awaking at 2 am Uganda time to some boisterous roosters.  Apparently, they crow at whatever time seems best to them.
            The next morning we made a couple stops in the capitol city of Kampala and drove four hours back to Mbale.  The drive was eye opening, to say the least.  The roads and traffic are unlike any I’ve ever experienced.  There are people, bicycle taxis, motorcycle taxis, crazy van taxis, goats, cows, and chickens everywhere you look.  I have seen the most astounding items on the backs of bicycles; of a more tame variety, 3 large bunches of bananas, two extra people, and a large collection of papyrus reed mats; the more extreme loads include a bag of coal large enough to hold a small armchair, 8 barrels stacked to a height of about 6 feet, and what looked like a door frame.
            I got a chance to meet the team during their first-of-the-month Wednesday night devo and dinner.  Normally, the team fasts on the first Wednesday of the month…but I didn’t feel too guilty helping myself to Rebekah’s pizza and Mary Beth’s gooey chocolate cake after traveling half-way around the world on a full stomach.  I immediately hit it off with Annalise and Bekah, both six-year-old girls whose favorite colors are green and purple, respectively.  Starting Monday, I will be their teacher for Bible, science, and math.  I can’t wait to be a science teacher; Tuesday’s lesson involves comparing forms of energy used to power a Ford Fiesta, Toyota Prius, and Chevy Volt.
            My roommates, Emily Daw and Jennifer Ashlock, are also teachers at the Mbale Mission School, or MMS.  The Mbale Mission Team, or MMT, is VFA, or Very Fond of Acronyms.  MTI, MTICC, LIU…it’s probably easiest to figure these out if you check out their website at http://www.mbalemissionteam.com/.  Emily and Jennifer have been wonderful in helping me get my bearings upon moving in.  They’ve taken me all around town, including the market, which is like a crazy, cramped, smelly, awesome labyrinth of everything you could possibly need; cups, containers, kitchen utensils, toys, shoes, sandals made of tires, cloth, seeds, meat, fish, eggs, produce, spices…you name it, they probably have something like it. I have yet to try any street food, but I can’t wait to try chapati, which Jennifer adores hot off the streets.
            The pictures are of Mt. Wanali, which is east of our house located in an area known as Senior Quarters.  The second is a glimpse at the outside edge of the market.  That’s all for now, as I need to get my things in order for tomorrow…my first day of school as a teacher!



No comments:

Post a Comment